Cringing Cult of Celebrity in Ashford, Kent*
Famous residents and ex-residents.
You can tell us more about Ashford.
Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- some time between 1999 and 2002 i was saved from a tire ladder at the adventure playpark in ashford outlet by Bob Mortimer
- That bloke who was in a band. But he wasn't really. But he just said it so girls would talk to him. But they didn't.
- i played wiith vic reeves daughter and son!
- josh doyle, son of syd and liz doyle, who were pastors of ashford christian fellowship, he now lives in usa. he was lead singer of the dumdums. still into music. he has proved you can mix christianity and music, and make a success of it.
paula carr, wasnt she famous. paula carr centre at the hospital for diabetics, i have an idea she was some sporting person.
doesnt paul mccartney live just outside of ashford, at least he used to. i used to see him on the train all the time.
- saw vic and nancy in building society. bob mortimor at the designer outlet and had a coffee wiv paul o grady at starbucks what nice guy
- JIM CALNAN (GANGSTA)
- Tengo Collective are all destined for superstar DJ status
- Vic Reeves at Charing.
- Bob Holness!
- Ashford in Kent is the birthplace of John Wallis (1616-1703), the Oxford Professor who was the greatest English Mathematician before Newton. How did you miss that one?!
- Dan Pearce of Popstars the rivals fame is local.
- razor rudduck went to the north school for boys , his brother colin , i believe still lives in ashford and goes by the name of phantom.
- LILLY SAVAGE LIVES IN ALDINGTON
- i saw that comedien from BBC 2 @ the cinema!! he signed a frankie and bennys tissue!!!
the cheaky girls live in rye!!! ANDY WALLS!!!! he dnt live in the middle of nowhere!!!!!!
and elvis lives down the hi street!(mems) get it hi street!!! o neva mind!!!
- Tom Baker (Dr Who) came into the vets centre once - giant of a man..
- vic reeves and bob mortimer from shooting stars
- vic reeves, saw him in town
- Bob Holness worked at Geerings of Ashford as a Compositor and went out with Marion Pay (now Lady Marion Barber) before emigrating to South Africa.
- i once helped jan francis(who i think lives in woodchurch) find a particular brand of cheese(believe it folks) whilst employed at sainsburys circa '92. bad job, very bad job. now i am unemployed!!!!
- Danny pearce from popstars the rivals
- Vic and Bob
Bob Holness went to Knatchbull
- Mark Ealham (England Cricketer)
- Have seen Vic and Bob regularly attending Blockbuster Video. Also Helena Bonham-Carter grew up in North St in Ashford Town and her family own most of North St property. Have also seen Paul Mccartney shopping in the outlet!!
- Lee Braey may be famous for being in goal when Swansea lost 9-1 to Livepool i an FA Cup replay but he is also famous for frustrating Liverpool in the first game and keeping the score at 1-1.
- I think that Kate Bush actually went to Ashford School for Girls ...
- The circulation of the blood was discovered by William (not James) Harvey - notice that the local hospital is called the William Harvey . . .
- Paul Godfrey of Morcheeba was at Ashford College the same time as me. I also remember Josh Doyle when he was in a band called Prophet
- No celebrity in their right mind would give Ashford a second thought
- I saw a chap getting out of a blue rolls in the Sainsbury carpark I think it was `` doing his local shopping !!
- Kate Bush Did not go to Highworth Scholl For Girls!I know coz I suffered there from 1969 to 1975 & as she is the same age as me I think I would have been dining out on that story for the last 25 years if she had been there!!!!
- Josh from the Dumdums went to the Knatchbull.
- I stood behind Vic Reeves in the KFC in Beaver Road in 1995, he was sweating and looking nervous, then he suddenly left the queue, got back in his Porsche 356 copy, and reversed madly back out into the road. Later on in the year, I over took him in his pretend porsche round on of the Kingsnorth roundabouts..........at least I hope it was a Porsche COPY as I was in a Fiat Uno
- think i ave seen docter who, but not sure and the funny bloke on the tv
- The lead singer and songwriter of the Dumdums, Josh Doyle, was born and still lives in Ashford. He was actually born on the Stanhope estate and went to Beaver Green infants and juniors as well as attending Towers and Norton Knatchbull secondary schools. His band have played Wembley Stadium, sold out, with Bon Jovi, toured with Robbie Williams, who is a fan of the band, and have had chart success in England (four top 20 hits and a top 20 album) and Japan (top 20). They have also been on the cover of Melody Maker. T.S.May 2001.
- My mate Brett who swam across the River Stour and back!!
- Dun't Dean Hearn (BMXer) come from down ashford way?
- WELL ME GLEN BUSHELL WILL BE FAMOUS ONEDAY,BUT AT THE MOMENT VIC REEVES HAS BEEN SPOTTED ASWELL AS BOB MORTIMER,THEY LIVE JUST OUTSIDE,BARRY MCGUIGAN COMES IN THE CINEMA QUITE OFTEN ASWELL. MY MUM HAS ALSO SERVED LILLY SAVAGE IN TESCOS CROOKSFOOT,I THINK HE/SHE MUST LIVE NEARBY
- Please mention the fact that Joe Hamilton resident of Hamstreet, although not famous himself is in fact TV presenter Les Dennis' nephew. He's even got a picture of him sharing a pint with said celebrity.
- Vic and Bob have been spotted hunting llamas in the warren
- If anyone famous lives here, they ain't going to tell anyone.
- James Harvey. Discovered the circulation of blood round the body.
Lord Louis Mountbatten, from our local aristo, the Brabournes. If you've got to have aristos, these aren't too bad.
- Lee Bracey, journeyman goalkeeper, career highlights include Hull, Bury, Halifax, Ipswich Reserves, and being in goal for Swansea when they were beaten 9-1 by Liverpool.
Author and philanthropist Paul Rich who penned the eponymous "Sunsets & Campfires". Also Steve Cameron one time keyboard player with Hot Chocolate,a dn the late Sir John Furley co-founder of St Johns Ambulance.
- The lead singer from th dum dums live in ashford and went to Knatchbull school.
- Frederick Forsyth author of Day of the Jackel, Dogs of War etc. came from Ashford. He father used to own a ladies clothing shop on the High Street.
Kate Bush, the pop singer, went to the Highworth girls school.
- Reeves & Mortimor have been spotted at the station.
- A cousin of Neil Ruddock lives in Ashford. (Liverpool, Spurs, West Ham etc)
He also donated an old Liverpool kit to a local Sunday League side.
- Bob Holnes cannot be beaten in this department (someone I know actually touched him, once! Oh, the luck some people get). And the author if Ivor the Engine (some girl, I dunno the name) went to Highworth school for Girls). Pssssss-chi-cooof! Pssssss-chi-cooof!
- ross the skater WILL be famous (trust me)
- rodger moore's mum lived in bybrook
- The renowned orchestral conductor Sir Malcolm Sargent was born in a house in Beaver Road - by accident, I believe, as his parents were from Lincolnshire.
- Roger Dean, whose distinctive artwork adorns the covers of many albums by Yes, attended Ashford Boys Grammar School (now Norton Knatchbull School).
- Jane Austen visited the town on several occasions, as her brother lived nearby
- Bob Holness (of Blockbusters) went to the Ashford Grammar School (now Norton Knatchbull School).
- Mark Rylance, who's just been appointed Artistic Director of the Globe Theatre in London.
- Ray Dorset, lead singer of Mungo Jerry, was born in Ashford. "In the summertime . . . " : )
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: ray beaney, Howard Worton, Vic, jack rose, sean, TJ, Ian Yorston, Bob Setchup, jon, Jake, donny, Mr Russell, James Barry, Penny Hawk, Neil Andrews, Emma Briggs, Neenjah (Tengo), ASHLEY FORD, Gar, Gustav Flaubert, Jenny, E.Lewis, Allen Brooker, lauren, richard, joe anslow, Relf, adam, will, area51, IAN SHRUBB, Dave Winchester, paul fereday, Adam "ya mum has a cock" Wilkinson, phoebe butler, Buster, Kyle Huntington, Cheryl, Courtney, Nick Baker, Ted, rachel, Chris Giles, Ben Ardin, Darren, Funki, Steve Kember, mforcevirus, links, jon wicken, jess, jack, Gary Herbert, fongsan, mart, tony simons, omio, Terra Master, Cynical_Smile, joe, Alex, Jamie, Jimbo, Robert M, Jon Varley, Tom Brisco, electroboy, Keith Waterer, Sarah Lloyd, JOE GALDIES, arran+ryan, p.s. the movie trailer, tom, Francesca Broadbent, BOB, duncan, rich, Spencer, Choco, Kate, web page accelerator, ben, tracy, anastasia, Phil Kersey, JIM DAVIES, Tez, Mr Kobayshi, Baz bay, Chris King, nathan wood, potty training videos online, James Kennell, EVANS, Louisa, T Mansfield, Nick oliver, Catherine, Malcolm Triggs, Haz, james, Kelly, Claire Mason, Matt, Dan, kevin, johnthesk8er, Raymond F. Breakspear, al, carole relf, Helmet Bomb, top, TASZ, Glen Bushell, colin topley, Clare, panyarroz, Oddballgem, arc length examples, Richard Bowers, martin hannush, mitch, hog, Laura, Barny, Nick, Jade, Chloe, paul woodland, westendorp, Phil, Paul, Choices, dunny, stella gurr, molloys off licence, joe anzulu, R Oliver, nadia, Bebs, jackson county newspaper georgia, GUY, stanley garage door opener parts, ali, joseph, mr blue, Raymond, JamesStarkey, caroline bee, jim calnan, stick and his chick, Ryan, Graeme Dutch, generic, classic car prices, ed, jonathan wood, uneducated shampoo, Philip Richardson, a colton, Nick Bolton, jon stubbs, rob, Terry Russell, Ashfordeye, allison cousins, Lawrence Piddock, id lisinopril, Lewis and steve, Tom Crosby, stuart, H.Roller, Michelle, Paulie G, Dan Stanford, Suicide, Daniel Walters, Jessica, Jonathan Barton, Steve
Last updated: 2012-12-22
More stuff about Ashford
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Ashford Knowhere Board