The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Cholsey, Oxfordshire*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Cholsey.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- The Walnut Tree is no longer a pub - it was converted into a residence some years ago.
- The cellar in the building which was the Waterloo contains an anti-male, menevolant presence. Women were always oblivious to it but at least four former landlords, Ray Bilton, John Nun, Robbie Spears, and Peter Moorhouse, also the male children of two of these, can confirm this.Also, the rear of the builing, by the bow window, had a Dante-esque mural on the wall showing Cholsey church, a ceremony, figures emerging from graves and amongst other things, a skeletal horse and rider in the sky. See Wallingford Herald C 1968.
The room also had symbols on the walls and ceiling and was probably used for rituals. It was a creepy place to live, and some major misfortune happened with alarming frequency to those who lived there.
- In 1971, Cholsey Scouts reserved a place in the Guinness Book of Records for a pram-pushing marathon
- Best place for breaking bones - The mound, a great lump of dirt that has been sitting in the middle of the park for years. Alternativly, walking around at night without a weapon.
- The psychiatric hospital. Why such a hospital full of mentally disturbed people and depressed souls should be so close to the A329, the River Thames and main Paddington to Oxford railway line is one of the many misguided plans the victorian councils dreamed up. The Building itself is a fine piece of listed architecture. The future of the hospital is in doubt but the main building is likely to be preserved.
- Cholsey is a fairly big village half way between Oxford and Reading - there is nothing there at all apart from about 70 people aged between 18 and 22 , all with one aim in mind - to get completely ratted on as regular basis as possible, it has a train station so it's nice and easy to get away from the place. Close by is Wallingford where there are even more people of the same age and everyone seems happy to all stick together and have a laugh. The best thing about Wallingford and Cholsey is the complete lack of attitude. (There hasn't been a fight in Cholsey for about 3 years.)
- Cholsey is the third biggest village in England.
- Agatha Christie is buried at Cholsey church!
- The Beatles once got off a train at Cholsey station in order to get to a gig at Oxford. They did'nt want to be mobbed at Oxford station by loads of girlies so they got off early and were driven there instead!
- The best thing in the village (after the train station) has got to be the seven pubs, with The Walnut Tree and The Red Lion being the pick of the bunch.
- The worst thing......the 16-22 year old types that hang about the 'village green' drinking, smoking and taking drugs thinking its the best thing going!
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Hercules Duritz, tim, micky, dp cooper, d, Iain, alan gibson, Spuduka, Carl Delaney, gail, Bill, jack, Rug, Ian Wheeler, generic, MJ, jenny hurd, robert, Nicki Choules-Rowe, jerry moorhouse, Sam
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Cholsey
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Cholsey Knowhere Board