Arts, crafts and such in Folkestone, Kent*
Anything from pukka art galleries to craft shops. Trendy and twee both welcome.
You can tell us more about Folkestone.
Arts, crafts and such
- wow theres a tonne of little art galleries opening down the old high street, nice stuff aswell
- B & B project space 14 tontine street Folkestone
artist run project space.
Club Shepway aim to develop an active and engaging culture of contemporary art and music in the Shepway (Folkestone, Hythe ect.)
- Metropole normally has really good modern art displays, also georges gallery old high street.
- grace hill library has some good art upstairs, thats about it
- Pine Shop in the Golden Valley (near Folkestone). Some items very dear, but others dirt cheap. Some items very unusual, old and just must have. Georgeous shop. A must visit.
An arts and crafts shop has opened just a few months ago at the Wyedale Garden Centre (where the fish shop uded to be). I think they have just about everything in there. Cheaper than I have seen around, arts and crafts well categorised and just georgeous stuff.
- Strange Cargo. Art Gallery. V small.
- Some fantastic art galleries and studios are springing up in the Creative Quarter. Hopefully more little craft shops will follow.
- Strange Cargo at the top of the old high street! they organise such events as Charivari, the better Carnival in Folkestone, and are involved in such things as re-vamping Central station! very good!!
- The Old High Street is being pushed as a bit of a "creative quarter", see http://www.thequarter.org.uk
- The art museum upstairs in folkestone library
- There is the main art gallery on the leas called the Metropole and a small one at the top of the Old High Street which sometimes has some great exibitions.
- The Old High Street has a few funky little shops to browse in
- The Metropole place is cool, although apparently only over 21s
are allowed to look at art
- The fabulous art gallery at the Metropole - well worth a look.
- Metropole on the leas
- The Old High Street is in hte midst of a cultural renaissance. Artists are migrating to the area arouns the bottom of Sandgate Road.
- Metropole Arts center!! Allways has somethin g good on there!!!!!
- Heads is cool! It's a funky arty type shop that is run by a guy who does a lot of art work and often holds his own exhibitions. The Sasson Room in the library is good to. It's free and holds a wide range of different exhibitions. Oh and it's free.
- An absolute joke - the home of the sunday painter
- leas cliff hall and old hotel exhibitions
- Theres a good bookshop in Tontine Street called BOOKSTOP. It has thousands of secondhand books on all sorts of subjects, fact and fiction. Well worth a visit.
- The Metrapole actually does hve some good exhibitions on at times.
- The Moon Palace at the top of the Old High Street is as hippy-dippy a craft shop as you could ask for. Also sells cards, practical jokes, and trinkets.
- nothing worth noting
- The Shell Shop on the Fishmarket. Loads of general goodies for tourists, plus a very good range of crystal etc. Open from Easter through the summer till Christmas.
- The Moon Palace - The Most Ambient Shop of them all.
- Lots of neat trendy crafty little shops down the old high street
- Finbarr Books is well worth a visit for all those spooky books on The Magic of salt power to Candle Magick etc.
- Most of the shops in The Old High Street especially 'MOONBEAMS'
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Pauly, George, David Walmsley, laura, Adrian Burke, neil, Paul Philpott, sean, Chris, Roger, Marcus Langston, Geoff, J, natalie, karol Steele, Amber Redman, Emily Robins, CRAIG, Claire, alex, Sam Hyland, mads, p. martin, Jim Carr, E.Lewis, Nicola Lumsdon, Tanya, hey.its.carla.again, richard bennett, L.Govan, ?????????, s gillen, TKE, Naomi Lee, Jack Daniels, mel, Allison, Kiz, ian clarke, Buster, char, AE, adrian cirket, Ted, Trish, Liam Dray, Gekkoblaster, jenni, Marie, Nigel Martyn, jon wicken, Mike, Emma Whitten, Buster the third, Olly Rutt, Giles Turnbull (gilest.org), buzzcock, Sam, Ben, kat, nicola tucker nee benson, Hugwy, ron, adam daniels, nicola benson, josh, Joseph, Ruth Golding, Anon, Dave Friday, tom, Charlie Page, j r hartley, sophie davis, ron hall, Mutzy, natalie.solway, Harris, tracy, Jon, matt rowe, Liam mason, Buster the fourth, Terry Moxley, Anonynonk, paul, Ben Grant, tony penfold, M Gosbee, John Biggs, Gillian Gates, Bobby, james, Toni, alice, umf, lucan, jim, samantha shrewsbury, Buster the fifth , doc popper, Carrmar, Allie, Bruce, Billie Burvill, Cowboy clive, peanut, denise, Theresa Shephard, Esme, dave, daniel desborough, sherry, Pete.s, tony de richelieu, jenni allen, jason, Choices, c elms, kev, Richard, johnb121, Richard Hughes, annA, FG, Jack the Kipper, sally palmer, Amie Landsborough, Kev Verrall, Tom Brasington, ANONYNON, waz, Matey, Sonicmook, Kaz, Dee, Colin Terry, Buster the sixth , Helen, Jon Richards, Alan, Kez, generic, Buster , slinko, mrsdepp, Jordan, Ken Bowell, mr Clark, cl, Carla, Joolz, john.walerych, alex swatton, Adam, Lawrence Piddock, gary, Alice Farebrother, Anna & Dan, fred, Bus stop, stuart, James White, Rob, Stone, Nivaya, Papa Lazarou, Esme Humm, James Armitage, Tufty-bater, Steve M, bob, colin, Steve
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Folkestone
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Folkestone Knowhere Board