Corner eateries, quick bites and the local chippy
You can tell us more about Lewisham.
- For Indian food - Raj Bojhan and Monsoon in New Cross or The Chillies, Hither Green Lane for the only healthy cholesterol free curry around, For Thai - Thailand in New Cross or Thai place in Greenwich. Good fish and chip shops in Brockley, Crofton Park and the Fillipino place in New Cross. For fantastic Vietnamese try The Long Time Cafe in Brockley near the train station. For Chinese try Uncle Wrinkle in New Cross.
- Excellent, authentic Tamil food at 'Suvai Aruvi' cafe in Lee High Road.
- the thailand in new cross best thai in the world at least
- 'Mixers' in Lewisham High Street is a kind of cafe trying to be a restaurant/wine bar. The service can be absolute crap. Don't go there if you want a quick bite, but if you have a whole afternoon to wait to be served the foods pretty good.
Only seems to be one pie and mash shop these days since the best one turned into the 'Quaggy Duck' pub and has been two other pubs since then. 'Something Fishy' is great for the traditional londoners grub though it gets very busy.
- Hunkarim just off Lee High road is a great Turkish restaurant with excellent service and food. also with music and belly dancing at the weekends.
- The Green Cabin is now The Madras, and seems to have lost some of its distinctive Sri Lankan dishes, and is now offers more mainstream generic sub-continent cuisine.
- Sapporo is the japanese restaurant in C`atford.
Heathers is closed so delete MacMillanSt address.
- Heather's closed down sadly about two years ago, I heard the owners couldn't sell the business on before going to Ireland to run a farm.
- The 'South Indian' on Lewisham High Street is actually Sri Lankan and called the Green Cabin. There's another, cheaper, Sri Lankan called The Everest on Loampit Vale. The Japanese at Catford Broadway is called Sapporo Ichiban and it is indeed very good. The Popadom on Brownhill Road, Catford is a decent 'standard curry house'. H's Café on Hither Green Lane (open early until 3pm) is the standard 'caff'of choice for lorry drivers and local workers and often serves up a tasty exotic special.
- There's a really good Japanese cafe in Catford, which does real Japanese food (ramen, sushi) @ reasonable prices. Wish I could remember the name.
- Nice South Indian restaurant (forget name) near Stonewalls (see pubs). Serves coconut based dishes miles away from trad Balti and Tandoori stuff.
- The Spice of Life on Lee High Road, out towards the Lee crossroads does just brilliant food. Great value. Pretty cool indie taste in background music too.
- There's a fantastically cheap and quality Curry House on Lee High Rd between Lewisham and Lee - The Darjeeling. Does a half price menu every day. Where else in London can you get curry, rice , nan bread and popadams for under a fiver !
- Heather's Restaurant 74 McMillan St Deptford SE8 3HA
The Best Vegetarian Restaurant in London (Guardian)
- Fadil's bakery is fantastic for speciality bread.
- There's always somewhere to get jellied eels in Lewisham - liquor and all.
- In Lewisham there untold place
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: madfan, Kate Organ, Chris Flynn, Andrew Milton, Ru, steve g, Des Sampson, ami, Mike keogh, pennywise, Helen, jenny collins, Andrew Stevens, al, Paul Dixon, generic, Kirsty, Janice, phil p, AJ, Andrew Lawrence, jamie, Alan James, Anna, MICHAEL TROTTIER, Kenneth Abraham, Marlon and Tyrone, Anna J, al booth, jackie banham, Martin Perrett, Louise, billy o' conner, Daniel Mackay, Jams, jim driver, James Wild, Nick Leach, Victoria Wainwright
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Lewisham
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Lewisham Knowhere Board