Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars in Reading, Berkshire*
Where to go to get down
You can tell us more about Reading.
Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- The Blagrave arms by Reading train station is putting on live music, thursdays, fridays and saturdays
'This is Techno...' is a new club night opening in Reading starting 5th September '09.
Our aim is to bring you the finest underground Techno DJ's and Live acts from around the world, as well as some of the best up and coming DJ's from in and around Reading and the south of England.
The Launch party is to be held at Plug 'n' Play Studios in Reading, with a capacity of 200 and it's typical european Techno Club atmosphere there really couldn't be a more perfect venue.
For the launch party we've secured a mouth watering lineup, headlining the event will be London based DJ/Producer PERC and top Swedish DJ/Producer Mikael Jonasson who will be flying in from Stockholm to play LIVE!
- The Face Bar, The 3 B's, Purple Turtle, Deja Vu, Iguana Bar, RISC Global Cafe. Reflex above O'Neill's, Revolution, 360 at RUSU
- Plug n Play Studios in Milford road is Reading's best kept secret as far as clubbing goes in Reading. It's Reading's ONLY alternative underground venue where you can here Psy Trance, Breaks, some Dubstep, proper D&B, Hardcore and decent Techno. Plus it's the ONLY place in Reading with a 7am license!
- Dogma Reading is coming soon. Live music and D.J's galore.
- Church of Madness at The Rising Sun pub on a Weds night. Goth, Rock, EBM, Electro, Indie... etc.
- The legendary afterdark!!
- ALL THIS INFO YOU HAVE READ IS OLD!!!!!!
THE HOT PLACES TO BE IF YOU ARE INTO ALTERNATIVE/EMO/HXC/PUNK/SCENE IS PURPLE TURTLE, BEST ALTERNATIVE BAR AROUND, FACE CLUB EVERY FRIDAY FOR LOCAL GIGS WHICH ARE AWESOME EVERY WEEK (BEWARE IF YOU DONT WEAR DRAIN PIPES OR CAMOS OR A LARGE AMOUNT OF BLACK YOU ARE UNLIKELY TO FIT IN) FEZ CLUB IS THE BEST CLUB IN TOWN, PLAYING MOSTLY ALTERBATIVE MUSIC ON THREE FLOORS, CAN GET VERY CROWDED, MOST PEOPLE HEAD THERE AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN TOO PURPLE TURTLE. IRISH CLUB PLAYS HOST TO ALL THE ALTERNATIVE 'BABY FACED' SCENE/EMO/HXC/PUNK KIDS, GREAT VIBE GREAT PRICES INTERESTING PEOPLE GREAT SCENE OUTIFTS HAHA. ANYONE ALTERNATIVE HEADS TO THE FIRDAY NIGHT LOCAL GIG AT FACE RUN BY 'BUK AND SKIT' MOST FIRDAY NIGHTS.
Two main choices in Reading. The Oracle.. Few bars.. Slug&Lettuce, Bar 38, Bar Med (always good for a bite to eat in the day), if you want to impress a girl, take her to Loch Fyne Restaurant, by the river next to the new flats opposite House of Fraser.
Second choice is Friar Street, loads of pubs, they don't like underage people (some are 21yrs+) or groups of lads. The Monks Retreat, near the town hall is good, cheap but no music, Bar 4 (opposite Monks) is ok. Yates is picking up again after it flopped a couple years back. For Clubs you could try Revolution but Risa is where the old Reading faces hang out these days. theres two big rooms and varied music. Girls seem to love the 70's -90's music upstairs at the weekend, downstairs is dance, R'n B, the usaul club stuff.
A lot of people stay away from Reading because of fears over violence. I go out every week in Reading and can't remember the last time I saw a fight or any real violence. The bouncers are all linked to each other and the Police so any incidents are dealt with before they get out of hand.
If you can find it, definetly try the Afrobar. it's down the ally between Garrard Street carpark and Friar Street.
My advice, get out there, watch your drinks and have fun. If you wanna start a fight, chances are you will not go home smiling!
For those of you who weren't allowed out 7 years ago... The best club of all time was Level One, Chatham Street. It's gone now and we'll all miss it!!!
- BOXING CLUB was the f'ng best, but it lost its license its still on but no longer till 6am
- The Turtle keeps messing about, it sacked all the decent bouncers and got some automata with black coats and black hearts. Checkpoint's moved to the Fez full-time now, so it remains to be seen how that will affect it. Bouncers can affect how good somewhere is so much... knowharahmean?
- After Dark v good, Purple Turtle
- CLUBS!!! in reading?? The good old boxing club, back in the day of oops sound system and float etc, now has ok jungle d'n'b bunch of young kids waving thier lighters about, NO JOKE!! the fez is ok, but really hook up with some mates and get going to a free party
- The After Dark, London Street - don't wear white unless you want everyone to see your knickers....
- Risa, After Dark, I prefer pubs!!
- utopia dont exsist in calcot no more. but the martix is still going, no matter how dangerous it gets
- Bar Four when Tanya ran it, was the best place to go. AND the only bar in Reading with a pole in the middle of the dance floor! The best time was xmas and new year when the staff were more drunk than the customers! ah the memories!
- The Fez Club (where Alleycats once stood - the best House, RnB, Rock, DnB and Hip hop nights.
- Face Bar, Chatham street.
The Boxing Club, also chatham street
- Best place to go if you're out to dance (not score) is the plug 'n' play. Some truly talented DJs/VJs pass that way so the music is refreshing and sometimes surprising but always damn good. Never had a problem with the crowd. (mainly friends of the cafe Iguana without a festival to go to) Don't be put off when a fourty year old dances you under the table; they were out raving when we were eating crayons and making mud pies for the babysitter.
- Revolution, there is a strip club near to Smelly alley but I can't remember its name
- I thout clubbin was a bit pikyish?? However the Walkabout aint 2 bad.
- purple tutrle baby! bar oz is good too 21 south street and the roebuck in tilehurst (always good on a saturday night)
- Live DJs playing . Under 18's Club Night, 14th February 2004, Pangbourne Village Hall. Tickets available through www.thesteocomapny.freeservers.com
- matrix and all the stimulation events
- In 1991 Reading saw the birth of the original bar culture; Cartoons and Bukowskis were the venues to be seen in having the correct management ingredient for starts then diving straight in the main course of deejay’s: Rob Lecroix, djmilky, The Fat man & not forgetting the Legendary DJ DUFFER
- Matrix .utopia,hexagon rivermead bar risa bar four brannigans poo na na and bare more but i juss cant remember.
- The Granby is one of the best Gay clubs in southern England. It has fab music and a great atmosphere and everyone gets along and is friendly.
Not dodgy atmosphere like the pubs in the town.
It is just of cemetary junction and is open till 2am Thurs-Sat and karaoke on sun
- update: RG1s has been closed down. stay away from brannigans, it's full of dirty middle aged men and if you're female you will be groped in there!
- ok purple turtle is the place. Was once full of alternative art boys now full of pretty much every young person they can fit, still packed with style and still the best club to be seen in for meeting INTERESTING ppl. to get lashed and dance try brannigans!
- A few Seals now and then.
- Purple Turtle, a great rock bar
- Checkpoint Charlie and Plug and Play. For anything else go to London my friends, Reading isn't offering you anything like the clubs/ chicks of London.
- THE MATRIX...woo hoo. party on down with that drum and bass shit.
- Utopia has changed! tried it saturday and got 3 drinks for the price of one, and the fit-ist bird dj on the decks
- Checkpoint CHARLIE at the After Dark Club is absolutely rocking about ten years after it started. It's like a time-warp. Probably the best techno club in the country.
- Obviously no one has been to the MATRIX recently it is one of the best clubs in town!! playing house, trance, hard dance, d n b , rn b, its absolutely great!!
- the place to be in Reading is The fez on a monday nite, alternative music,closes at 2am n has d best crowd ever, every1 friendly n a great nite out.im der every monday:) also a the fez is great on a tues nite,student nite free 2 get in b4 a certain time, plays hip hop n rnb downstairs n ur pop stuff upstairs
- Hard to comment on this one, as I've only been to one in Reading so far - The Matrix. How we laughed as we were frisked by a huge man with eager hands and then made to walk through a metal detector... The interior was passable though, even if it did resemble my old youth club back in the day. As for the music, it had a beat, it wasn't too fast or too slow, so you can dance to it. The female DJ was also fit.
- after dark...
- Wanna get pissed for cheap and pull a minger? The After Dark Usually well good fun.
Wanna fight? anywhere in the Oracle esp Brannigans
RG1 is closed now so the teenage slappers have dispersed who knows where...prob Utopia..errrr!
The TUC is pretty much the same as it every was...a load of miserable teenagers headbanging to 'Rock'...some ok music though...good 4 Jailbait!
I have heard the Jazz Club is getting some good acts now and again but it's still a bit of a place for posh nobbers mostly.
Fancy reminising? New Vallbonnes is now a Curry House so try and throw up in the same spot you did in the past...just with different colours.
Fancy getting ripped off: The Matrix...too pricey and too many people thinking Garage is all gravy! Heard it changed management though so may be ok now!
- matrix has bassheads every other friday night.. i don't advise it though.
- hm...now valbonnes was amusing, now its an indian restaurant.
- RG1s has been shut down! Apparently its being knocked down! I for one am pleased cos i'll no longer be dragged there just cos 'everyone goes there'. It was too hot and rubbish anyway!
- Try Mango just opened near kwik save for something a bit different, do good food there too
- THEY ALL ARE PAP
- Matrix - Bassheads night! Gay-Rage night is well shit
- um if ur a goth then go to the tut n shive (rising) by 4bury most of the 4obs go in there
- The Matrix is good for Dance music and runs house, trance, hard house, garage (bleuch!!) and D & B nights. gets tiresome very quick though and gets quite messy some weekends. The Fez is a better all rounder for a boozey night with a 20-something studenty crowd. Avoid RG1's like the plauge.
- T.U.C- best place to be every friday night 9 till 2! Jim and Frank plat great music and do super jobs as D.JS. Moshers and Goths hang out hear.
- Matrix was voted club of the year by Ministry - do they know something we don`t? Ok if you gotta nova SR, loads gold and like saying SELECTOR and BOOM and other such twaddle innit?
- To give a quick update as at Nov 2001: The Boxing Club IS still open (although, currently, only till 2am), and from Jan 2002 will be hosting nights by Fushion, ValleyMoods (Deep House), Inna?State (Psy-Trance), Kommotion (Techno & D&B), and others. Other underground style venues (as opposed to commercial give-us-your-dosh clubs) amount to: Central club for occasional nights by Liquid (D&B, Techno), Inna?State (Psy-Trance) and others, After Dark for Checkpoint Charlie (house & hard house) on the 1st Thursday of every month and Tropicana for occasional nights. You can also catch some alternative dance related music at the Rising Sun Institute (NOT the pub of the same name) on varying nights. Although Fushion are no longer doing their Sunday chill-outs, a new sunday chill session at the Rising Sun starts in December 2001.
- Utopia is so bad no its worse than that. Great place to go if your over the age of 18 and like to fufil your pedophile needs or a whitly bitch..... I personally like bar med
- The Matrix (Good for DnB).
The Boxing Club - Haven't been for a while...
- After Dark has been sorted, Fez club (altho if u want a similar night out to the Fez, go to Po Na Na - exactly the same just everyone goes the Fez cos it is closer), Don't bother with the Matrix... it is crap. Try a house party instead, they are cheaper, friendlier (pillers), and play alright music... Farewell Junktiun Ten!!!
- For a town with such a massive selection of crap pubs, Reading has a limited selection of crap clubs to match. The first is Utopia. Sadly left in a chrome and pink era of the 90s, nights at utopia are nights we all like to forget. Still charges over 20 quid a round (so i've been told).
The after dark club literally has sweat dripping from the walls - and it's hairy smelly customers sweat. Cheap drinks though. And no queue.
- Avoid. The Matrix is packed full of people wanting to pull, with road-drilling dance music. Substitute 'The Matrix' as appropriate with the names of other venues. Luckily, it's only a few pounds to get to London.
- The after dark club is like a church hall inside and it serves beer in cans with plastic skiff an optional extra. It's not very sophisticated and it's been there for years but it's the only place approximating to a club in Reading that I ever go to. It must have something going for it, like an easy going clientel and no violence or pretention.
- The matrix - if you want to pay more than it would cost to get in to almost any club in London then have to endure absurdly overpriced alcohol, almost inaudiable music (due to noise level restrictions imposed after the council found the roof was made of tin) which will invariably be shite. Excellent fun though if you enjoy playing 'spliff hide and seek' with the bouncers
- Reading clubs have become a horrible mix of Eurotrash, and USA cheesiness.
Plus you have to wait forever to get in. Once you do-drinks poor, expensive,
bouncers with pretentious attitudes, full of haven't learned to hold my drink yet teeny boppers from all around-this town is a magnet to them.
Or 'suit' crowd'-commuters.
- THE ONLY THING TO DO ON A SATURDAY NIGHT IS GO TO THE FIRKIN FOLLOWED BY RG1. EVERYWHERE ELSE IS JUST PANTS!!!!
- The Fez Club, I have found to be the best Friday night out in Reading, although normally a big queue outside, it only takes 10 minutes to get in.
Funk on a Friday means a good crown,never any trouble. Drinks are a bit pricey!!!
- RG1's is dire
- Fez club on a monday has a rock night and club tropicana on a friday too. Highlights of the week, even though theyre not brill. Definately worth a trek into London
- Every Tuesday during University term time there's a rock and metal night at the university Union, including nu metal, grunge, goth, heavy metal, rock, cheese, 80s, and just about anything else! If they don't have it, bring it or copy it! Starts 8.30pm.
- Matrix,Utopia,Level 1..BBBass.. how long can u stand it!
- There's alot of pubs in reading but most are the same!
Downstairs at the Fez is okay for Pre 92 House and some Breaks, Funk Phenomenon is a good Crack to. Upstairs at Iguana is Chilled and the Purple Turtle can be a laugh if abit young.
Avoid Oscars, Washington Heights and the rest of the chains unless you wear Reebok Classics, Ralph Lauren shirt(lime green, Salmon pink and lemon yellow are proper up there innit), cheap jewellery like a right nice soverign ring, and speak with a Bumpkin accent i.e Tileworst.
Also avoid Matrix on Jungle night because of the above or you'll have to deal with pilled up bumpkin monkeys asking you about Cars and Maxpower, tell u wot roiight, Moi system is 'rinsin' haaard roight!
- If you like good music you're buggered. No joke! Some times J10 have a free party but not often enough. Technosense is held once a month at the after dark and is the only place I'd go to for the music.
- Nov 2000: One year after my last post here methinks time for another update ...
By the time you're reading this The Boxing Club will probably have sadly closed - having been stripped of its late license by our killjoy local council (boo!) If you like techno then Technosense is well worth checking out (http://www.junkchun-ten.8m.com/technosense) - used to be at The After Dark but now looks like moving to somewhere new. Fushion chillouts at The Rising Sun Arts Centre are worth a visit. The Alleycat Studios (was good for parties!) is now a yuppies private members club (boo!). Cumbers has been bought out by The Matrix (boo!). Despite The Matrix, the underground scene still rules - Junkchun Ten, Fushion, Korrupt and Enginearin' all going strong. Livin' Proof good for hip-hop. A good guide to clubs in Reading can be found at http://www.o-reading.co.uk - even if they do tend to produce glowing reviews of T*e M****x (spit!). VFR 107 is now sadly off air - but check out Seduction 107.95 FM (http://www.geocities.com/seductionfm). Checkpoint Charlie is still at The After Dark - a tad expensive at 7 quid door tax, and the music is a bit lightweight, but always gets a good up-for-it crowd.
- Matrix is laughable. Over priced, full of townies and my car has a better sound system.
- RGI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS SO GOOD EVEN THOUGH THAT IT IS TACKY, THAT'S WHAT CLUBBING IS ALL ABOUT!!!! UNFORTUNATELY FOR THE GIRLS IT IS POPULATED BY EITHER SAD OLD MEN OR COMPLETE ARSEHOLES BUT WE STILL HAVE A GOOD TIME! UTOPIA IS AN UTTER SHIT HOLE AND ANYONE WHO TAKES THE PLACE SERIOUSLY NEEDS TO BE SHOT. THE DJS ARE REALLY UNTALENTED AND ONLY SEEM TO B ABLE TO PLAY ABOUT 5 SONGS AND TRY TO DISGUISE THEM AS DIFFERENT REMIXES- LOAD OF SHIT!!!!
- Well Checkpoint at the After Dark will always hold some of the fondest memories of my life. Amonst others, Carl Cox and Josh Wink used to pop down for a boogie when they didn' have any gigs on. How's that for a recommendation? Lost it a bit when it moved, but I hear it's back there now so probably well worth checking out again.
- Dance is dead - exploited to death.
- the Wide Awake Club - 1st friday of the month - without a doubt the best hard house & trance night outside london. Now at the Boxing Club on chatham street 9pm - 6am, very hot & crowded, but the most up-for-it crowd you'll come across - wall to wall grins !!!! Most of the DJ's are home grown talent but I defy anyone to knock the quality - check out http://www.wideawakeclub.co.uk
Avoid the matrix, fez, RG1's, Utopia - full of Fuckwits !
The Matrix hasw the bare faced cheek to call itself a 'Dance Club' what a load of toss ! they employ Hitler Youth on the door and generally just want your MONEY ! Sound system sounds like a car stereo in a D reg Transit van.
- Utopia is a pit, Level 1 is extremely dodgy and the After Dark is small dank and very sweaty. The Fez club is ok though is impossible to get into of a Weekend.
- WELL THE NEWEST AND BEST CLUB AROUND IS THE MATRIX OF COURSE WITH A CAPACITY OF ABOUT 1700 YOU DONT GET MUCH MORE. FUCKING AMAZING CLUB ALTOUGH ITS A BIT MORE LIKE A DISCO THE WAY ITS SET OUT. ITS ABOUT £4 ENTRY AND THERES ABOUT THREE ROOMS WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF MUSIC, GOOD PLACE TO GO IF YOURE ON THE PULL AND WANNA GET LAID (BY A SLAPPER) BEST TO GO ON FRI AND SAT THOUGH.
- The FEZ on a monday night has a good rock night, and its where all the skaters hang in the school holidays. cheap beer. dont get bacardi breezer as it costs a bomb.lots of (very)youn people!!
- I used to go to the after dark, it was great for underage totty - but the beer was watered down and the old bloke on the door was a miserable bastard, I hope he's dead in fact.
- Nov 1999. To update some of the out-of-date info here (1) The Alleycat Live has now shut down - reportedly its been bought by the people who operate Po Na Na. Most of the Allecat Live gigs have now moved to The Central Club on London Street. (2) Checkpoint is now held at The After Dark, as is Inna?State. (3) Applejacks closed ages ago and has now re-opened as a pub called The Litten Tree. (4) There is a new club on London street situated at the old bingo hall called The Matrix (http://www.t-h-e-m-a-t-r-i-x.com). Very upmarket and glitzy. Cheesy Music and Dress Code on Saturdays, but they have some decent music on Fridays, with Reading party crews like Junkchun-Ten, OooPs! and Float playing there. (5) The Boxing Club on Chatham Street is now allowed to open until 6am every Friday night with Ooops! (http://www.ooops.net) playing Drum N Bass on the second Friday of every month, and Float playing very hard trance and techno on the last Friday of every month. (6) Check out Reading's community radio station VFR 107.00 FM - licensed for Nov and Dec 1999 and possibly after that too. Comes on air after midnight with DJs from Reading party crews like Junkchun-Ten and Freestate.
- Nov. 99, Alleycat Live has closed (although rumoured to be opening again soon)
New club on London St called The Matrix just opened, havent been yet but seems to have
some name DJs, from the flyers looks to be commercial dance mainly
Nue Valbonne has closed down/been shut down for the good of all
After Dark still going strong, proof that you don't need to spend any money on a club to
make it a success. Great indie and 80's theme nights.
Applejacks has been converted into a pub
- Please, plesae, please dont waste your time by going to Utopia. Utter crap. Level 1's and RG1's, marginally better but only if you're off your face as it saves you trekking out of town. Alternatively save your money and go somewhere decent in London where you're allowed to wear your trainers and stay there to 6am.
- I'm sure I saw the After Dark club on the Cook Report once
- Techno/trance: Inna?State in the After Dark on London St, monthly night, usually on Thursdays, and Float in the boxing club on Chatham St, last Friday each month.
- A LOT OF THESE MESSAGES ABOUT READING NIGHTLIFE ARE OUT OF DATE AND SIMPLY WRONG! GOD DAMN IT. UTOPIA IS THE MOST POPULAR CLUB FOR TOWNYS, DUNNO WHAT ITS LIKE, NEVER BEEN, PROBABLY A MEAT FEST. I'M TOLD THE FOAM PARTIES ARE GOOD. AFTER DARK CLUB IS PROBABLY IN THE SCARIEST PART OF TOWN BUT IS ACTUALLY V UNSCARY. ITS AN UNUSUAL MIX AND THATS PROBABLY WHY IT LACKS A UNIFIED ATMOSPHERE(I SHOULD REALLY GET A LIFE AND NOT KEEP WRITING SUCH CRAP ON THE NET), MAINLY INDIE THOUGH, BUT GOOD SPECIAL OFFERS ON THE DRINKS. ALLEYCATS IS REALLY A ROCK VENUE AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT TRIES TO PULL IN THE DANCE CROWDS WITH ITS CLUB NIGHTS IT SHOULD STICK TO ATTRACTING SUCH GREAT BANDS AS ONE MINUTE SILENCE, KILL II THIS, TERRORVISION, THERAPY? ETC ETC
NOW MY FRIENDS I MUST COME TO MY MAIN POINT...
NUE VALBONNES IS NOT, DESPITE ALL THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN, CRAP.
IN FACT AS FAR AS METAL/ALTERNATIVE/ROCK NIGHTS GO, ESPECIALLY IN THIS AREA, FRIDAYS AT NUE VALBONNES IS THE BEST AROUND AND FAR EXCEEDS AGINCOURT IN CAMBERLEY. BE WARNED THOUGH, THE DRINKS GO UP IN PRICE DRAMATICALLY AS THE NIGHT GOES ON. BUT ENTRANCE HOWEVER IS FREE IF YOU GET THERE EARLY. THIS IS DEFINITELY THE BEST CLUB I'VE BEEN TO IN READING AND HAS STUFF FROM PITCHSHIFTER TO GUNS N ROSES AND LIMP BIZKIT TO BON JOVI. ENJOY!
- Utopia is a great club. On entrance the bouncers are quite polite greeting you, up the stairs and only £1 B4 10:30 on student nights, great deal. Two floors, and a lot of bars. If you are a Reading Uni student you may have the membership pass so you can go to the membership area in the club. The toilets are very clean as well. Theres a nice standing area so you can watch people dance down below. The dance floor is huge and the DJ's are cool. Sometimes on Student nights they do an hour (after 12) of 80's music but before and after they play 90's dance and house music. The musis is cool. The burgers inside are a bit pricey but nice. There a small photo booth where you can get tiny photos of you and your friends for £2.50. On the top floor in the centre there is a hexagon cut-out so you can see below. The drinks are great the music is cool, over all its the best club I've ever been to. Well done UTOPIA.
- Alleycat Live, some great looking nights on paper but the quality can vary a lot.
The After Dark. If you haven't been going to it since it was the only club in Reading you might not understand its charm. Great atmosphere. Dress down and try not to fall on the floor, you might stick.
Level One. Extremely cheesy and expensive. Dress up and try and avoid the bouncers.
Utopia. If you can get a friend to drive you then you are OK, almost impossible to get a taxi back late at night and no busses unless you are a student. Once you are there it's pleasant enough. Not enough to get me going that far out of town very often. Also it's pretty cheap.
- Sindlesham Mill in Lower Earley, especially on ladies Night's
Utopia in Calcot, often has guest D.J's from the local 210FM crew
- Tropicana (WAC - we are the Wide Awake Club and play Hard House and Trance) - see Web Site above. Po Na Na - Duke Street, very chilled and great; Level Ones - without the teenages and the chart music, it'd be kewl; RG1s/Nue Valbonnes/Utopia - give them a miss unless you are sad; AppleJacks - a little chessey at time, but can be pretty ok. Bouncer are very over the top! We could go on and on as Reading has become one large pub/club, but we have better things to do, like finishing this huge form.
- Don't bother with Applejacks - pile of shite! Bukowskis (formerly JW's) is much better on a Friday night if you want to listen to good sounds and get to the bar without a fight. Alleycats is still going strong as a late night drinking and dancing den but it looks like it could do with a lick of paint and some plumbing maintenance to stop everyone elses piss flowing onto the floor by 2am.
- Hawaiian bar is now shut and been replaced by Po Na Na which is rather expensive (they have no draught beers) but also full of friendly happy (albeit rather pissed) people. Open 'till 2am(?) so queue is horrendous at pub kicking out time when the entry fee goes up to £4 (free b4 10pm)
- Club Tropicana - used to be the TUC, still called that by anyone who goes there - Friday night is Alternative night. If your a grunger/goth/indie etc, it's one of the only clubs you can go to and fit in. The rest of Reading is raver dominated. Typical.
- Well this is a tough one as I'm under 18 but I have 2 older b5others and from what they tell me Reading is not too bad on the clubscene, I know that Nue Valbonnes doesnt' help the rep much but we can't all be perfect. Nue Valbonnes is the sort of place that turns you down if you are over 12 so I wouldn't even bother with that one.
- The Rising Sun Arts Centre (Silver Street) has a new night of drum and bass, techno, hip-hop and er.. everything. S'called Freestyle and the next one's on Friday 19th June 1998! Check out the FS web site. www.angelfire.com/co/breaksandbeats
- According to the local press, despite local opposition the old TU club in Chatham Street has now been licensed as a nightclub for 650 people... in a residential area. Called apparently, Club Tropicana, if the air con is as bad as when it was the TU club it will be.
- Washington Heights has gone (to no-one's regret), to be replaced by Club RG1, which looks almost as tacky as it's predecessor, so I haven't tried it.
- As for RG1's, well, it's very busy on a Thursday, and at 50p a pint and 50p a shot of spirits, again, you're gonna get the same effect as a pub but for much cheaper. Both this and Utopia run a bus service, so they obviously want your custom, presuming you're a student! All in all, there's not much better in Reading, so give these clubs a look. You may well be pleasantly surprised!
- RG1s. Very tacky but student nights on Thursday are good value (beer 50p a pint) and always busy. Weekends draw a slightly older crowd. Not as bad as some club snobs will tell you.
- UTOPIA by the Sega park
- One off the best clubs I've been to outside London, about eight bars, two levels, and a large dance floor. Also Wednesday night is student night (pound a pint). Highly recommended.
- Student night at Utopia is on Tuesdays and the beer tastes watered down. If you go on any other day, especially during the week, watch out for the bouncers: they are very good at boxing. The club is good though, very big.
- As for Utopia - yes well. The beer tastes watered down, and the place is more like a cattle market sale. If you are looking for lousy beer and atmosphere then it's the place, otherwise a four-pack and a good film on Sky is a better bet!
- Regarding Utopia: It isn't that bad on student nights! O.K., it may be a cattle market, but isn't that what most people go clubbin' for! And as for the beer, at a pound a pint, what do you expect? It may taste watered down, but after a few you're still saving money!
- One of the worst clubs in Reading (unless you're into meat markets). Crap music, crap beer, bouncers with attitood. OK, yes it is big. So? Go sit in a warehouse then.
- After Dark, on London Street, open late and does bands. A great club if you are into indy, grungy stuff. Do not under any circumstances wear decent clothes. If you fall over on that floor you have to wash your clothes at least twice. It's a fun place - lots of moshing! Watch out for one guy behind the bar who tries the ol' "no you gave me a fiver, not a tenner" trick (regularly!).
- Cumbers. Small underground club with a variety of nights (Jungle, House, Revival).
- Nothing in reading?!!! Get your ear to the ground and check out the pulse of readings underground. Sound systems inc oops who incidentally have been doing it for time (drum & bass), Float,Livid,Innerstate for the technophiles out there. What about the full on banging Lost the Plot, not to mention Readings own underground radio station on 107.2Fm fri &sat through to the early hours. Come on there's more to Reading than RG1s,Utopia and the Turtle - Thank God - A huge shout to all the Reading crews devoted to the underground. Keep it alive! ...slump has left Reading, Checkpoint Charlie left but has returned now at the Afterdark
- The Holy Rumes. Name DJs. Runs until 4am. Doesn't seem too popular with students which may be down to price (£8 usually).
- Checkpoint Charlie. Fortnightly Fridays at Alley Kats. One of the best nights in the country. Always quality DJs and a friendly atmosphere but can be hard to get in due to size of crowds. Get there early!
- Slump. Sundays at Alley Kats. Downtempo chill-out for Sunday afternoons (1pm - 6pm). I've not been but people tell me it's pretty good.
- Hawaiian Bar. Horrible music, horrible people, horrible bouncers. Do yourself a favour and give it a miss.
- Central Club. Usually has something on at the weekend. Mainly jungle and reggae.
- Nue Valbonnes, Caversham. Another meat market. Non-descript music. Not very pleasant.
- Churchills. I've not been to this one but I hear it's quite violent and generally unenjoyable.
- RG1 and Utopia big, noisy, cattle-marketish and just damn good fun. Exactly what they should be.
- Applejacks on Castle Street. Very pricey, run by "Mr French" who also runs the gym underneath it. Club is raided and closed by the police regularly. Over the last two years, it's been refurbished and renamed six times. In descreasing chronological order: Applejacks, Bonkers, CoCo's, French's, Club Paradiso, Flamingo. Expensive. Shit.
- Alleycats Live - beware the bouncers! A quiet night out at Checkpoint Charlies can end in a bloodbath if you aren't careful. Avoid making eye contact with them.
- With more and more pubs and clubs opening in Reading all the time, it's getting pretty hard to keep up. We now have Level One, which is pretty much a warehouse with some bars in it. No neon tubes and chromed staircases in here, just a couple of BIG rooms a couple of bars (pricey drinks though). You'll find it under Chatam Street carpark, near the Ramada Hotel. So far I've only tried it on a a Thursday, and being as all the students had gone home for Easter it was still quite busy. Well worth a try. Shows great potential. Also Downstairs at JW's. Looks like a normal pub on the corner of Gun Street and St Mary's Butts. Downstairs there's a smallish room which looks like a swimming pool changing room. Heard a superb DJ on Friday playing hard trance. Very good atmosphere if a little small. Another point about Nue Val Bonne, despite being bloody horrible, if you pay £10 (Men) £5 (Ladies) on a Thursday to get in, you get free mainline beer and spirits all night. That makes up for the club itself and it's clientelle.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: tommy, Dan Hull, Rihannon, Rich, Julz Angell, Merlin, Serge Gainsbourg, Ali Reid, John Kennedy, gus, kate, Claire, alex, Berkshire Tai Chi, pal roppa, Adil, Tom, Supermong, Ian Batey, Leona, holey, Mark B, Charlie, Deborah, mel, Baxter, Marie Scoble, Bunts, Justice, Anthony Lee, helen, Hugh Platt, Matuk, nick, Alice Halsey, suzanne, nicky jones, Kiar, mark ambrosio, Marie Thake, powelly, rebekah, wellcoolbuds, Savage, Jonn-T, Mike, me, gemma, Ben, Roy-Svork, L.R.Millard@reading.ac.uk, Leanne Walker, ceri morriss, Andy Mason, Randal Williams, fdfd, Anna, Tom Carthy, sue, Tim, SarahBeth Day, amy, chosen_the, famey, Matt Reeks, sez k, PAUL WALTER, Beccy, Michael Hefferan, Jonny Sunshine, Ingrid, Sara, Emma, Hole, Ruby, Ailsa, Darryll Eaton, charley, Kat, kevin buckley, Ot, info, simon nash, dodge, Gemb, K. Meredith, Lee Hayes, G. Power, m , Daud Mcdonald, mark dale, Isabel Cosgrove, Chrissy, Olwen Roy, louisdc30, Luke, trev, lee hayden, twisted vube, Mako, Jon Kirkwood, neil Charlton, jonno, helen sirrell, Stuart Norris, Adam Roberts, generic, ed, DONNA, Luke Stammers, Mark, stiz, MetaWraith, Choosri James, caroline mcaslan, Jaymi Leigh Dooley, Lee, jussy, Alicia, munaza, Sandy, Philip Gunns, Cat., Bekki, Ross, Simon Williams, Ross Jenner, Viney, g, Charlotte Hutchinson, SimonA, Al & Mush, Keke, Stuart Eagles, OWEN SAWARD, Simon Coffey, Daniel, Michael Howard, And woolliss, OLI BRADSHAW, L.J.J., Beth Robinson, Blackwell, Steph, donkey club rules, nic, Smid, Helen Blanchard, Alistair Coleman, ol'c -unt, elaine_morton, steven, sandman, paul cairney, Michaela Thomas, esvuz, bill, Lea, hi, Chris Lack, Kirsty Hall, Driving Force Software Ltd., zambo, Ande, anj, Jordan Mace, Bob Saunders, Leah Sherwood, sam hammond, Whitehouse Studios, Stephen Wiliamson, Jonathan, Dave Neale, tom summers, Digby, Phil Edwards, DAVE, Jo, pete, nikki, Steve Lutwyche, random, Marianne, Richard King, EX-SOUTHENER, Hannahmarie, Phil Deverson, Bernard Smith, paul logan, ian dunn, Andy, ema, Shazza, pixie, Gianluca Vialli, Matt, Min, Ray Lee, Carl, Raoul Volfoni, louise, Becky, bj, HAYDN, James, blah, jozef hodgson, benito from catering, Fuzzy, Stefan, Steve (another 4bury piss 'ead), steve, Phil, toldyer, Paul, Joseph Fitzgibbon, simon humphries, george penfold, wb, Emily, skater, Reading Roadbusters, Cath Shelley, Russell Carter, charlut, Marvo, Sophie, Thisis Techno, Hugz, King Kola, dan styler, Mat, Lizzie Stanley, Steven Barker, Daniel Browning, anne bradshaw, Joe Allen, Jacqui Henness, Tim Edwards, Oliver Setchell, Shazzzzaaaa, ayylmao, Jon Stonehill, Michael Wimbish, susan kelsey, Sarah, daf, keith, Lawrence Piddock, Jaymi, emma wilson, Maryjane, Holly, zaki, Witchard, Plank, Anthony p, Esbie, lisa, John, Patricia Brazil, Aliturabi, Woody, denny, Umair
Last updated: 2012-06-13
More stuff about Reading
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Reading Knowhere Board