Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear in Reading, Berkshire*
Stockists of gear to make good sounds
You can tell us more about Reading.
Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Hickies on Friar Street
- Music man, Hickies
- Hickies - Friar Street, DrumWright in Woodley for percussion.
- the one closest 2 my house
- Hickeys of Reading - just the rudest and most offensive staff I've ever come across. There are lots of good music stores around, please don't give your custom to this outfit - they won't appreciate it. They have no idea how to even be respectful to customers.
- The above info is about three years out of date. At July 07 Guitar Heaven of Wallingford have gone under, Modern Music in Reading is now owned by Dawsons and moved out of the town centre and Guitar Works has very expensive guitars and very cheap copies. Hickes are still there and have the best selection of instruments.
- the place in Broad Street mall is good
- Music man ,Oxford Rd has great quality 2nd hand guitars, drum kits, keyboards and wind instruments. Its a real Aladdins cave!
- There's one upstairs in the Broad Street Mall. Also a good shop on Friar street opposite Ice Bar
- Two main shops in Reading, Hickies and Modern Music. Having worked in Hickies, I can recommend that you go to Modern Music!
- one in the broad st mall upstairs
- Modern Music is great, but the staff aren't as nice as the Basingstoke branch
- Hickies on Friar Street,Modern Music in Broad Street Mall
- Hickies is kwl, modern music is crap and a rip off, music man is alright.
- modern music
- broad street mall music shop on top floor with guitars, keyboards, piano some other stuff and no drums (outrage)
- There's Hickies in Friar street and there is also Modern music upstairs in the butts centre. U can go 2 buy 2nd hand instruments from The Music Man, which is on Oxford Road, near to town.
- Guitar Heaven in Wallingford is an excellent new place and the nearest true guitar specialist to Reading.
- hickie's is good and reasonably priced to buy most sorts of instruments...
- modern music is the worst place in the world for guitars and other musical instruments. you walk in and your like wow looks quite nice. you walk up to a guitar and you die of shock from the orible factory set up in front of you.
then you look at anything else,
oh no its out of tune. nope sorry we don't sell single mandalin strings only full packs. but hickies is amazing. if u want a 5 min walk head out pats the broad street mall out of town and eventually you'll come to the music man. everything thing there is second hand and its all quality otherwise we don't take it. u can part exchange and stuff. or just buy stuff cheaply. (i work there) please come down and check it out.
- hickies,modern music although hickies is way cheaper and also very kewl 2 b seen in. staff are friendly and generally very helpful.
- hikkies by the town hall and modern music in the butts!!!
- Hickies down Friar Street. There's also a shop in the Butts on the top foor to the right.
- hickies for the weird dude and modern music for drooling over guitars.
- Modern Music is quite a big shop and sells loooads of stuff. Its located in the Broad Street Mall.
- hickies or modern music
- Hickies, Modern Music, Music Man
- modern music, clearly. and hickies. drumwright, which is in woodley. not winnersh.
- modern music-the staff are nice, unlike their branch in basingstoke...eurgh
- Music Man again.. is there NOTHING that place can't do?
- It's probably more cost-effective to shop second-hand.
- Modern music - if you know NOTHING about instruments or music and you enjoy bafoons informing you that 'six string basses do not exist, you must have a very large guitar' etc. Truely hillarious sales people.
- We used to go into modern music once a week and insist on playing about on every single instrument
- Sounds like a love bite...it's called 'Hickies'.
- Reading has NOTHING (mordern music does not count)
- Cougar Music on the Oxford Road in Tilehurst is ok for Guitars and Basses. Drumrite in Winnersh is excellent for drums. However to buy decent keyboards, synths, samplers, recording software, PAs etc you are better off going to London. Reading suffers from being too close to London to have any truly excellent music shops though
- Hickies on Friar street, fairly basic but good for sheet music and Modern Music which is in the Broad St Mall on the first floor. I basically just get guitar strings there. You are better off going to London for instruments.
- 1210s...? Orange - Oxford Road and Sabre - Wokingham Road.
- Hickies and Modern Music have a good selection of instruments, sheet music etc. Modern Music is glossier but the Saturday staff are clueless. For second-hand guitars, electronic equipment and records, Music Man on the Oxford Road is always worth checking out.
- There's one in the Broad St. Mall - but I can't remember it's name.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: tommy, Dan Hull, Rihannon, Rich, Julz Angell, Merlin, Serge Gainsbourg, Ali Reid, John Kennedy, gus, kate, Claire, alex, Berkshire Tai Chi, pal roppa, Adil, Tom, Supermong, Ian Batey, Leona, holey, Mark B, Charlie, Deborah, mel, Baxter, Marie Scoble, Bunts, Justice, Anthony Lee, helen, Hugh Platt, Matuk, nick, Alice Halsey, suzanne, nicky jones, Kiar, mark ambrosio, Marie Thake, powelly, rebekah, wellcoolbuds, Savage, Jonn-T, Mike, me, gemma, Ben, Roy-Svork, L.R.Millard@reading.ac.uk, Leanne Walker, ceri morriss, Andy Mason, Randal Williams, fdfd, Anna, Tom Carthy, sue, Tim, SarahBeth Day, amy, chosen_the, famey, Matt Reeks, sez k, PAUL WALTER, Beccy, Michael Hefferan, Jonny Sunshine, Ingrid, Sara, Emma, Hole, Ruby, Ailsa, Darryll Eaton, charley, Kat, kevin buckley, Ot, info, simon nash, dodge, Gemb, K. Meredith, Lee Hayes, G. Power, m , Daud Mcdonald, mark dale, Isabel Cosgrove, Chrissy, Olwen Roy, louisdc30, Luke, trev, lee hayden, twisted vube, Mako, Jon Kirkwood, neil Charlton, jonno, helen sirrell, Stuart Norris, Adam Roberts, generic, ed, DONNA, Luke Stammers, Mark, stiz, MetaWraith, Choosri James, caroline mcaslan, Jaymi Leigh Dooley, Lee, jussy, Alicia, munaza, Sandy, Philip Gunns, Cat., Bekki, Ross, Simon Williams, Ross Jenner, Viney, g, Charlotte Hutchinson, SimonA, Al & Mush, Keke, Stuart Eagles, OWEN SAWARD, Simon Coffey, Daniel, Michael Howard, And woolliss, OLI BRADSHAW, L.J.J., Beth Robinson, Blackwell, Steph, donkey club rules, nic, Smid, Helen Blanchard, Alistair Coleman, ol'c -unt, elaine_morton, steven, sandman, paul cairney, Michaela Thomas, esvuz, bill, Lea, hi, Chris Lack, Kirsty Hall, Driving Force Software Ltd., zambo, Ande, anj, Jordan Mace, Bob Saunders, Leah Sherwood, sam hammond, Whitehouse Studios, Stephen Wiliamson, Jonathan, Dave Neale, tom summers, Digby, Phil Edwards, DAVE, Jo, pete, nikki, Steve Lutwyche, random, Marianne, Richard King, EX-SOUTHENER, Hannahmarie, Phil Deverson, Bernard Smith, paul logan, ian dunn, Andy, ema, Shazza, pixie, Gianluca Vialli, Matt, Min, Ray Lee, Carl, Raoul Volfoni, louise, Becky, bj, HAYDN, James, blah, jozef hodgson, benito from catering, Fuzzy, Stefan, Steve (another 4bury piss 'ead), steve, Phil, toldyer, Paul, Joseph Fitzgibbon, simon humphries, george penfold, wb, Emily, skater, Reading Roadbusters, Cath Shelley, Russell Carter, charlut, Marvo, Sophie, Thisis Techno, Hugz, King Kola, dan styler, Mat, Lizzie Stanley, Steven Barker, Daniel Browning, anne bradshaw, Joe Allen, Jacqui Henness, Tim Edwards, Oliver Setchell, Shazzzzaaaa, ayylmao, Jon Stonehill, Michael Wimbish, susan kelsey, Sarah, daf, keith, Lawrence Piddock, Jaymi, emma wilson, Maryjane, Holly, zaki, Witchard, Plank, Anthony p, Esbie, lisa, John, Patricia Brazil, Aliturabi, Woody, denny, Umair
Last updated: 2015-07-07
More stuff about Reading
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Reading Knowhere Board