The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Sutton Coldfield.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Top hair salon 'Fate' in Cremorne Road, Four Oaks, very relaxed and friendly which is a nice change for Sutton Coldfield, but still has top stylists and great Tigi product range.
- I believe "Coldfield" is a combination of two (Celtic?) words for "hill",
namely "col" and "fell". And I think Sutton Park was aa gift from Bishop Vesey,
who came from Sutton and was Bishop of Exeter. The A38 runs from Exeter to Sutton.
- Sutton Coldfield is the site of a TV mast that broadcasts for miles around. If you want a good laugh read the Sutton Coldfield Observer or the Sutton News and look out for major spelling mistakes and news items repeated two or three times to fill the pages. Also take a good look at the letters page to see what people are getting all hot and bothered about.
- I've lived all over Ireland and the UK and one thing strikes me about Sutton residents is that despite living in one of the nicest places around, they whinge all the time about the stupidest things - you only have to look at the endless letters in the papers about dog poo / parking / kids skateboarding / housing developments.... How terrible! People you are so lucky to live here! Just enjoy it.
- Still jacko, wrighty and coulson at vesey, evil as ever. wrighty taught my mates dad at same school!!!!
- For the 'Local Heroes' section in Sutton Coldfield....
Patrick Baladi lives in Sutton Coldfield. He is an actor best known for his roles as David Brents manager in 'The Office', P.O.W, and more recently as a doctor in Bodies on BBC3. I was chatting to him in Type3 bar in Sutton along with Walsall manager Paul Merson!. Small world eh!
- Sutton Rugby fireworks display is a great place to hang out and meet people, can win goldfish and all sorts. Watch out though, as Kevs and 'Rockers' do not get along, safety in numbers! Inter-Kev-Fights have been known to occur, with broken bottles and the like being used as weaponry.
- i went to Coppice 1st & middle school. Remember we weren't allowed in the woods surrounding the school and the teachers on juty used to go MAD if they saw you and try and chase after you. We played predator in the woods. Wicked fun. Miss Smith was a biatch - i hated her. The next year everyone had Mr Hart but i left then. Didn't they used to use the cain in that school???Paul Bilboe always used to get told off, though secretly i thought he was nice.
- Sutton is an ace place and should stay the way it is ie not be brought down to the bad standards of castle vale and surrounding areas!!
- The one and only PUB is Sutton has gone.
How good was 'The Gate'?
Next best is 'The Duke' i suppopse.........
- Nobody has yet mentioned that Sutton Coldfield has a higher proportion of good looking girls than any other place I've ever been to.
- Cross country runs through the wilds behind John Wilmot in 1960s, probably built on now.
- Penns Hall Hotel in Penns Lane (between Walmley and Wylde Green) was used as the outside of the Crossroads Motel after the original one was burned down, during the 70's!
- We have had super service from Abbey Coachways of Sutton, Their driver "Taffy" is seriously cool and ever so good with kids.
- please bring back sutton park - penns line + stations
- I miss the old Gate pub in Mill Street at the top of the Parade (now a poncey pub called "The Case is Altered"). It was a good, rough 'n' ready Rock pub in the 80s. A mate of mine lived in the pub, and his band used to stop the Parade shoppers by playing on the Gate roof! Anyone remember that?
- Anyone remember Private ID? Coach trips to London to see them at the Rock Garden? Battle of the Bands in Lichfield?
- I have heard it said that there are too many snobs in Sutton. Is this a
criticism or a compliment? Personally feel it must be the latter. It is indeed
true that I enjoy to spend lazy afternoons on the terrace sipping Pimms,
surveying my land.
Oh! To watch the humble man toil. Such bliss!
- Sutton used to be the Royal Borough of Sutton Coldfield before being absorbed into the City of Birmingham in 1974.
- Sutton Park is the largest urban park in EUROPE.
- Home of Sutton Coldfield College, the best college in Birmingham
- Shops: Beatties Departmental store. New shopping centre under construction
- Excellent Schools: Bishop Vesey, Arthur Terry, John Willmott, Bishop Walsh, Sutton Girls School
- Expensive property prices - full of snobs.
- I disagree with the person who said that SC is full of snobs.
- Old ladies complaining incessantly about the bus services in annoying Erdington accents: "Since they've tekken the buzzes off we've bin stranded up the Reddicap".
- The tendency of local people to put 'the' in front of everything which is a problem to them: 'THE rape', 'THE aids', 'THE crime'. It's as if they know the words but aren't sure what they mean.
- Alarming number of nutters busking in the Parade. One calls himself 'Angina John' and has a huge soft toy dog holding a picture of himself. The children love this so their mothers have to give him money. He blows on a harmonica (can't actually play it) and shouts mad things. One of his 'routines' is about him in a running race with 'World Champion' Brendan Foster. Another one is about 'taking a life for a life, string them up' and so on. Actually this sort of opinion is quite common around here! There is another very old guy who sits in a motorised wheelchair with a cheap home keyboard. I feel a bit sorry for him and whatever caused him to be in that chair. Thing is I heard him playing 'Pocket Calculator' by Kraftwerk on the keyboard once. Bizzare or what?
- Stupid yuppies are still around. Seem them in Flints in Mere Green every Friday Lunchtime. Laugh at them. They are very silly.
- Rich kids who hang around on the pParade causing trouble. There used to be something going on here called 'taxing' where kids would wait outside clothes shops waiting for other kids to come out with expensive clothes. They would demand money 'or else' depending on the value of the clothes. I think this was all a bit 80s so now they just smash phone boxes and bus shelters.
- Kids walking in the middle of the road after closing time in Mere Green, trying to menace motorists. This is actually very frightening.
- People doing surveys on the Parade who are actually something to do with Timeshare companies.
- Everyone says Bishop Vesey school is great but when I was there it was like a prison. I was told not to go into computers because it was a passing fad and the world didn't need them. I was bullied regularly. The kids who did it were in the Rugby team (pride and joy of the school) and were actively encouraged to do so by the games master. There was drug abuse going on. The facilities were old-fashioned and dire. Things may have improved since then.
- The Park was a gift to the people from Henry VIII. He was hunting in the area when a wild boar attacked him. His life was saved by a local archress, to whom he showed gratitude with this present.
- Over the last twenty years, the local accent has been very Brummised.
- The local by-pass is the scene of a record-breaking speeding offence, achieving over 160 mph on a Honda Fireblade.
- I agree with the person who likened Bishop Vesey Grammar School to a "prison" - the very word I used to refer to it when I was there 20 years ago! I was also bullied and it was absolutely dire - (the unhappiest time of my life), though I wasn't aware of any drug abuse going on.
- Sutton Coldfield is mentioned in Shakespeare's Henry IV part II.
- Sutton means 'south town', ie.south of Lichfield. Coldfield refers to the fields once used for trees to produce charcoal.
- I know so many people from Sutton. I have lived in London for years, and often I meet someone from my home town. It always seems that we have something more in common...
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: John Chance, N Clayton, glad to be somewhere else, georgia mckeever, andrew, Jon. Yates, fuzz townshend, Andy Robinson, anne whitaker, Keeley Graham, Martin Turner, Jenny Hunt, games-geek, spacey, df, Jim, Brian Supper, Redsexy (seriously, everyone around the area only knows me a, Ashley, Simon Holden, DCJ, CPMEEHAN, Andrew Whittle, Fi, monolog, dave dineley, Jeff Childs, Charlotte, Robin Baker, rory phillips, karen anthony, Catherine Murphy, andrew weston, vicky davis, Una Croxford, Richard Mitton, Brian, kerry davies, ST, Nathan Bennett, J. A. O. Forster-Dowden, Esq., jeffscarf, daveyJ, richard, Emma Lewis, alison stirling, Nick, Emma Paul, nigel conde, Joshua Smith, kerry.gibbon, Richard Simkins, B.M.Sutton, MARK BURGESS, Louise Johnson, Anthony Cole, Danny Bone, Philippa, pat allen, Wayne Jones, Steve Lightfoot, bill, Mick Gregory, Robin Guest, bill lewis, beth, lizzie, dan, Duce, keith ward, Claire Rushe, AA SYSTEMS, Stacey Emiliou, Nicky Tony, claire burke, Pieter Dyson, andrew newman, matt, CaptainSENer, Jim Cadman, Jonathan, jeff scarf, Mandy Willson, Andy Lutwyche, John Leftlung, generic, little mo, Matt hardeman, Z. Beeblebrox, adny, Nathan Davies, Denise Taylor, Charlotte Boardman, pete, B & G, mark willis, Steve Lutwyche, Jon Robson, Gavin Clement, skater1, Gavin Smith, Rebecca Gale, Karena Keeley, charlie, christine levasseur, L Haycock, Paul, Paul & Rob, joe homer, Blusey Chris, tom moore, Annabel Gregory, Kirsten, Moi, bill major, Rob Skedgell, Richard Teale, pinky, Mat Thewlis, Chris Wood, John, Adam Roche, Andy, Emma Jenkins, Julian Worrall, Josie
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Sutton Coldfield
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Sutton Coldfield Knowhere Board