Pubs in Thatcham, Berkshire*
The place to go for a lazy afternoon, pub quiz or last call
You can tell us more about Thatcham.
- The chequers now do some excellent (good value) food. Very reasonable prices.
- Kings Head now has a bar which is smoke free and quiet. Others, e.g. Plough you need a gas mask to stay in there it is so smokey.
- There is a lot of decent beer in the town, unfortunately there are no middle of the road pubs..either full of spotty yoofs or old geezers drinking double pink gins. Probably the best is the White Hart..
- pubs in thatcham are very poor. the one next to threshers is ok i suppose
- Paggies bar (otherwise known as the wine bar) in the Kingsland centre is quite a good place to hang out, although it attracts a lot of scraps it keeps its locals and usually has a great atmosphere, pool table, fruit machines and a jukebox and Pissed up Pete dribbling in the corner!
- the swan has a new makeover and it is just the same as before
- If you dont mind travelling out a bit the nicest place is The Berkshire Arms (on the A4) its got an olde worlde feeling and decoration. You can get a nice Ale. Food ranges from Steak & Guiness Pie (Really Good) to things like Partridge and other game- Fresh Fish is always available. The service and atmosphere are really good here.
- The Old Chequers is the best pub in town! well, it was a couple of years back when Greg ran it. He was a laugh, but managed to run off with the takings! Twat!
- There are nine pubs in Thatcham. Plan to crawl them all sometime in the summer. The Swan, The Millhouse, The Plough, The Wheatsheaf, The King's Head, The Chequers, The White Hart, The Crickets, The Black Horse. None of them serve any decent cider.
- There are now bouncers on the door at the Crickets (to stop them from leaving)!.
- The Old Chequers aka The paedophile: Good pub, beer garden, but very loud/crowded when the football is on as they have a large projection telly. Still, if that's your thing... The lasagne is good. The name doesn't mean anything, really, no 14 year olds here.
The Swan, aka the station pub: Nice garden, nice inside but smallish public bar. Good for a pint as you wait for your train, you can make it across the road to the station in about 30 seconds. The mixed grill. Definately.
The Plough aka The no-menu: Ho-hum, go here for lunch, it's amusing to see what they haven't managed to forget today. Recommended? A sandwich from Waitrose...
The White Hart aka... um, The White Hart: Older, more refined clientele and decor. Beer garden. The shoulder of lamb is nice.
- The Plough (pool table, very eclectic music selection); the Old Chequers (ghastly but near my house); The King's Head, the White Hart, the Cricketers' and one whose name I have forgotten. All reccommended by Alcoholics Anonymous as good cures for excessive public drinking.
- None of any Note - Thatcham is pretending to be Newbury's bigger brother but with crap all in it
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Lee Reynolds, stephen walker, Mandy, Nick Young, hannahh, David King, baby1, Andy Smith, rick, Jenna C, peter j green, Sue, HAYDN, ged, al, greg, Jim Cornwell, generic, Annette, kevin o'sullivan, Mark Brookes, stevie, Chad, monkey, Ant, Gemma, Steve
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Thatcham
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Thatcham Knowhere Board