The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else in Todmorden, West Yorkshire*
The things which can't be categorised
You can tell us more about Todmorden.
The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- With the Buddhist Centre in the castle, the large lesbian community, hippies, people escaping "stuff" elsewhere, plus all the UFO reports ... you've got a strange little town. What's it like? Add 'Twin Peaks', 'Nuts in May' and 'Royston Vasey' into a great big pot in the middle of some dark hills. Welcome to TODMORDEN!
- Todmorden is also the lesbian capital of England, and is fast becoming a ghetto for our non-vanilla sisters.
- Todmorden is a godforsaken hole. Go somewhere else.
- Acorn Centre, a town centre community centre offering youth groups, parent and toddler groups, training, Internet drop-in service, cafe, community minibus, meeting room hire and lots more. Take a look at www.acorncentre.org.uk
- Todmorden Swimming Pool and SportsCentre has trampolining lessons
and swimming lessons
- I'm an actor and I grew up in Tod - my dad is still a GP there - and comments about the Royston Vasey nature of the place are closer than you think. Last year I was filming a sitcom with Reece Shearsmith from the League of Gentlemen. I told him where I was from and he said that the League scouted Tod as a location. What nearly swang it was when Reece went for a leak in the Gents next to the indoor market and saw a sole piece of graffiti. Alone on a recently painted wall was the simple plea "Is there any man who wants cock in Tod?"
- Todmorden definitely has something of a Royston Vasey feel about it. For years the 'Todmorden Triangle' has been famous among UFO spotters for the number of alien abductions that are alleged to have occured. Last year somebody broke into the park's acquarium building and left a giant fish in one of the tanks. A newspaper headline I remember from the early nineties is "Boy throws stone at duck". Look out for 'precious things' in the 'local' shops along the Burnley Road.
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: Andy Robinson, A.G.Ackroyd, Jonathan Ryland, Todbear, Steve Jones, A Fielden, misery, brant, Al Davis, Jack Larkin, :-P, Nick Dickinson, Jane Eyre, me, generic, firstname.lastname@example.org, JoeG, Gary, Mick Marrow, Bec, David Hill, Natalie, Colin Myers, luke jenner, Pauline Campbell-Jones, Paul, ben, Min Allen, Mz, Justine Sutcliffe, Jon, budgienobling, Rodney fountain, kent pete, jason geldard, Spike, Bob Rowell, bill, Tod
Last updated: 2009-02-08
More stuff about Todmorden
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Todmorden Knowhere Board