Live Music Venues in Woodley, Berkshire*
Live sounds in a garage, pub, park or stadium
You can tell us more about Woodley.
Live Music Venues
- The best place for live music, in my opinion, is the Swan at Aborfield - around 6 miles away.
- The Thatchers used to have local bands on in the mid-eighties. Local heroes Burning Ambition played there a couple of times. Burning Ambition also played the Woodley Yeoman and survived to tell the tale.
Burning Ambition were huge in 1985 and were based in Woodley. Phil and Jason went on to form The Rileys and (I think) once supported The Buzzcocks. Jason was tragically mudered down the Oxford Road in the late 80s. Chris was in Blues Cruise then Stonefly and is now in Snatch 22 who play regularly in the Reading area. Klunky was an early member of the band and went on to be in The Coffin Nails and now has his own tattoo place round the Station.
Anther Woodley based band was Loose Torniquet who did a lot in the late 80s. Former members are now in Holy Cowbell who are making a name for themselves on the thriving Reading schene.
- Difficult one this one. Have any bands ever played in Woodley - ever? I do not mean some awful Karaoke in the Chequers.
- Endless. Most bands have played Woodley at some time in their career. The Beatles, The Stones, Abba, Michael Jackson, REM, U2 and Hearsay are just some of the huge bands that have demanded to play Woodley. Kajagoogoo refused - and look what happened to them!!
- Now you're talking - The Chequers sometimes had one man wailing out "Chrystal Chandelier" accompanied by Beat Box. It also had awful Karoake nights with really bad Elvis singers (aren't they all?)
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: udhjdh, tim, brendon jones, Sam Sutton, tim stanfield, Sarah, richard, brian, Lawrence Piddock, lynn smith, mike, Andy Gascoine, Penny Griffin, jack, Alan Sears, Moo, bev, Chris Hyatt, Lola, Steve Ray, generic, DONNA
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Woodley
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Woodley Knowhere Board