The place to go for a lazy afternoon, pub quiz or last call
You can tell us more about Woodley.
- The Yeoman has gone, rough pub but it had character! The chequers is dull and depressing but it will do for popping out and meeting up with friends on the odd occasion. Havent been in the B&C for a long time - the Greenhouse just doesnt work! Full of kids at the best of times. The George is Ok but expensive and the food is obviously freezer-to-microwave. Saying that, its a lot better than anywhere else! The Thatchers was my favourite but even that has changed in recent years, becoming drab and suffering lots of landlord changes. The Inn on the Park is being refurbished - hoorah - last week it looked like a dumping ground for unwanted furniture. The quiz with Ernst is still going on and if you like that sort of thing, check it out! The Lands End still has its character, excellent food and quiet atmosphere.
- Just a short drive (about 10 mins) from the wonderful RED ROSE restaurant in Woodley, you can stop for drink at J W GREENS slightly up-market public house in Twyford. Although the dress code is a little stuffy, don't be put off.
The welcome there is out of this world but it's cliental that sets JW's alight.
Well worth a visit especially on a Friday evening.
- The Chequers. One visit to this pub is more than enough. Grimy and tatty.
Inn on the Park. Not bad, but looks like it belongs on a 50s council estate.
The Bull & Chequers. Better than the Chequers, but still worth passing by. The food is awful.
- It is not suprising that your correspondent has never entered the Woodley Yeoman as it was pulled down two years ago and the site is now covered by ticky tacky houses. The Bull & Chequers never recovered from the addition of the conservatory and the tarmac placed on the green. Ex-para Ted used to have his summer fete there and I expect that the Targe has not been rolled recently. Moreover older residents may resent the loss of the De Havilland bar.
- The Lands End is probably the best now - and The George.
Bull and Chequers (the good ole B&C) has gone really down hill, The Chequers has a pool table but that's about the only thing going for it!
- The Bull & Chequers has just got a load of new staff, Jake, Dan, Tim make a good adding to the group thsat were already there james, Phil and Oli all great blokes. If you want a laugh go there!
- Bull & Chequers - greenhouse, playground, new landlord every couple of years. Alright on a weeknight. Chequers - the only people who seem to go here (in my opinion) are unemployed people who compare tatoos. The Good companions - I used to drink in here a lot. It's ok, but nothing special. The George - nice food, nice pub. Woodley Yeoman - never been. Inn on the Park, very cheap and with a big TV so people can watch sport (do I need to say any more?)
- Bull & Chequers (greenhouse) and play area. Used to be a good pub. Gone downhill abit now. Chequers (wouldn't go there if I were you,) Woodley Yeoman (makes the Chequers seem classy) The Good Companions (we don't know anyone who goes there) The George (does nice food in the evening) and the Inn on the Park in the middle of Woodford Park (cheapest pub in Berkshire or something like that!)
- Woodley is sooooo adventurous when it comes to pub names. We have the "Bull and Chequers" (known as the B&C) and the "Chequers" (known as the Chequers) The B&C used to be a lovely pub until the greenhouse arrived. The Chequers has always been an awful pub and the people who go there are what my mother would call "common"
Search Knowhere for something else:
All the information in the Knowhere Guide has been contributed by users over the years. No one person is responsible for it all and not all contributors will agree with all the opinions included.
Parts of this information have been supplied by: udhjdh, tim, brendon jones, Sam Sutton, tim stanfield, Sarah, richard, brian, Lawrence Piddock, lynn smith, mike, Andy Gascoine, Penny Griffin, jack, Alan Sears, Moo, bev, Chris Hyatt, Lola, Steve Ray, generic, DONNA
Last updated: 2008-10-14
More stuff about Woodley
- Sports Shops
- The Best Things
- Live Music Venues
- Recording Studios, Rehearsal Rooms, PA Hire
- Cringing Cult of Celebrity
- Record Shops
- Hookup Spots
- Favourite Building
- Local Bands
- Buskers, Street Entertainers
- LAN Parties, Tournaments, LAN Game Cafes, WiFi Meets, PSP/DS Meets
- Sports Clubs and Facilities
- BMX Trails, Street Spots
- Cafes and Coffee Shops
- Related Links
- Computer and Games Shops
- Alternative Lifestyle
- Bicycle Shops, Bike Sales and Repairs
- The Worst Things
- Cheap Food
- The Stuff We Can't Fit In Somewhere Else
- Hostels, B&Bs, Hotels, Accommodation
- Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars
- Musical Instrument Shops and DJ Gear
- Arts, crafts and such
- Magazine and Comic Shops
- Skateboarding Spots
- Clothes Shops, Shoe Shops, Fashion and Bargains
- Demolish It Now Building
- Skateboard Shops
- Woodley Knowhere Board